Andouille sausage, rice and spices come together for a quick meal in this Cajun Sausage Skillet supper.
To begin, you will need 2 cups of cooked rice. To make this amount, start with 2/3 cup uncooked rice. Use the quantity of water needed for your particular brand of rice – simply cook according to package directions.
While the rice is cooking, dice a green bell pepper, and a small onion. (About 2/3 cup diced onion.) Cut a package (14 ounces) of andouille sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Toss in the pepper, onion and sausage. Cook this together until the pepper and onion are tender and the sausage is lightly browned.
Add in the seasonings – 1/2 teaspoon each of thyme, oregano, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika.
Add in the cooked rice, along with a can of red kidney beans that have been rinsed and drained. Stir it all together and cook until the beans are heated through.
That’s it! Enjoy!
Spice Alert: Andouille sausage does have a little heat to it. If you have little ones, look for mild Andouille.
- ⅔ c uncooked rice (and water needed to cook according to package directions)
- 1 green bell pepper
- ⅔ c diced onion
- 1 package (14 oz.) Andouille Sausage
- 2 Tb butter
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- To begin, cook the rice according to package directions.
- While the rice cooks, dice the pepper and onion and cut the sausage into ½ inch pieces.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the pepper, onion & sausage. Cook until the pepper & onion are tender and the sausage is lightly browned.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients, including the cooked rice, and stir together. Cook until the beans are heated through.