One thing I do to make mealtimes a bit easier for our large homeschooling family is to make freezer meals. I even do this with some of our breakfast recipes.
On a monthly basis we will usually make pancakes, waffles, and muffins to freeze so we have them on hand for the entire month.
Chocolate chip muffins are one of our family’s favorite breakfasts – not only are they yummy, but they are quick and easy. Just take them out of the freezer the night before, and they are ready to go in the morning.
Below you will find a recipe for chocolate chip muffins that is perfect for a large family, or if you want to freeze a bunch, or both. This recipe will make four dozen muffins.
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1⅓ cup sugar
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups butter, melted
- 8 eggs
- 2⅔ cups milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 12 ounce bags chocolate chips
- Preheat over to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place 12 muffin/cupcake liners in a muffin pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a very large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla until combined well.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups with batter so they are ⅔ full. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes and then remove muffins from pan and place on a wire cooling rack.
- To freeze - place 12 muffins in a gallon-size freezer bag. Be sure to label and date your bag before you place it in the freezer. To thaw - remove from freezer the night before you plan on eating them. Pop one in the microwave for 15-20 seconds and enjoy your homemade chocolate chip muffins.