There’s something to be said about a grilled cheese sandwich. But how about a pizza grilled cheese sandwich?
I have to make a confession. I love my panini press. I got a simple little electric panini press several years ago, and I almost never make “regular” grilled cheese sandwiches anymore. Being a “foodie,” I have been given countless kitchen gadgets as gifts over the years. For some reason, when you love to cook, people seem the think that you must want every latest “seen on tv” kitchen gadget there is. To be honest, most of the kitchen things I have received over the years were re-gifted or donated. My panini maker would be the exception. I use it all the time, and today I used it to make these sandwiches.
For me, a grilled cheese sandwich isn’t just something to eat for lunch, it is the perfect “no time or energy at all” rescue meal. You know, rescue my sanity after a long, long day. This sandwich is a twist on the usual grilled cheese.
To begin, lightly butter the outsides of your sandwich, just like you would for any other grilled cheese sandwich.
Layer on a few slices of pepperoni.
Top with a slice of cheese – mozzarella or provolone are my suggestion.
Arrange your sandwiches on the panini press, buttered sides out. Close the press and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the sandwiches are golden and the cheese is melted.
Serve the sandwiches with some store-bought pizza sauce for dipping.
Try getting creative and stick some basil leaves or black olive slices inside before cooking.
- 2 slices of bread
- soft butter
- 1 slice of provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices pepperoni
- store bought pizza sauce
- optional - black olive slices, basil leaves
- To begin, lightly butter the bread slices.
- Arrange the cheese & pepperoni inside the sandwich (buttered sides out.) Include olives and basil leaves if you like.
- Place the sandwich inside your heated panini press. Close and cook about 2 minutes, or until the sandwich is golden and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with the pizza sauce for dipping.