Do you have teenagers who love to travel and write articles about their adventures? If so, you need to forward this article to them! We have partnered up with some great organizations to bring you this $1,000 writing scholarship for teens who love to travel!
Teen Bloggers are encouraged to apply for the 2019 FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship hosted by Family Travel Forum. Over the years, The Scholarship has awarded more than $20,000 in cash grants to teens who share their stories in words and images.
Watch this video with tips on how to write better blogs and then read the rules below carefully to ensure eligibility.
The top three travel blogs submitted by the July 12, 2019, deadline will receive cash grants of $1,000, $500, and $250, as well as a GoBag Travel Bag from sponsor Allianz Global Assistance. Honorable mention winners will receive gifts from CityPASS and Rough Guides. The top stories will be published on Family Travel Forum’s site MyFamilyTravels.com.
The Family Travel Forum Teen Travel Writing Scholarship is open to American, Canadian, American-International, and homeschool students ages 13-18. For Scholarship timeline and news, follow #TTWScholarship on Twitter.
FTF TEEN TRAVEL WRITING SCHOLARSHIP
- First Place: $1,000
- Second Place: $500
- Third Place: $250
- Leading travel insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance will also award the top three prize winners a “Go Bag” comprised of a GoPro, portable power pack, and a passport holder with RFID protection.
- 20 Honorable Mentions: Travel prizes from our sponsors: CityPASS and Rough Guides.
All winners will receive a Family Travel Forum Certificate of Commendation, and selected submissions will be published on Family Travel Forum’s MyFamilyTravels.com website.
FTF TEEN TRAVEL WRITING SCHOLARSHIP RULES
Eligibility for FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
- Applications will be accepted between May 1, 2019, and July 12, 2019.
- Applicants must be ages 13-18 and attending grades 8-12.
- Applicants must be attending junior high or high school in the United States or Canada, or an American international school abroad, or be enrolled in a U.S. homeschool program.
Submission Requirements for FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
- Travel blogs must be no more than 600 words in length, and the trip must have been taken in the last five years.
- Entries must include text and be illustrated by at least one photo, digital artwork, or video.
- Travel essays must include practical details so that others can follow in your footsteps. Details should include names of attractions, museums, theme parks, resorts, restaurants, the local beach, etc. with URLs as appropriate.
- Travel blogs must be submitted online using the FTF Teen Travel Scholarship Essay Submission Form. Please create a strong, descriptive blog title, and use the editing tools provided to make paragraph breaks or add punctuation, and to upload your photos. If you are submitting a video, please enter the URL at the bottom of your entry, and we will add it to your blog post.
- All applications must be received no later than 11:59pm ET on July 12, 2019. Late entries will not be considered.
- Your travel blog must be your original creation and must not have been previously published.
- Multiple submissions are not allowed.
If you are selected as a Finalist, you will be contacted by August 20, 2019, and asked to send a copy of your transcript from your school / homeschool, as well as a permission letter from your parents if you are under 18. More information about the Parent Permission Letter is available on the FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship FAQ page. These documents must be received by email, fax, or snail mail by September 6, 2019.
Judging the FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship
Travel blogs will be judged on originality, quality of expression, and a sense of place, as well as in accordance with standard rules of English grammar, mechanics, and spelling. A panel of esteemed educators, professional writers, and editors will make the final selection of winners.
- All applicants will be contacted by email when the Judges have completed selecting the Semi-Final round of essays and posted them online.
- Only Finalists will be contacted for follow up documents to verify their eligibility.
The FTF Teen Travel Writing Scholarship Winners
If you are not contacted and wish to view the winning entries, please visit MyFamilyTravels.com after September 22 when the 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and Honorable Mention blogs for 2019 will be announced.
The work of past Scholarship Winners is currently posted on the MyFamilyTravels Scholarship Page.
For more information, eligibility, rules, and the scholarship application form, please visit myfamilytravels.com/teen_travel_writing.
Judging assistance is provided by the Journalism Education Association (JEA), Tourism Cares, Society of Professional Journalists, and travel editors. Homeschool Road Trips is proud to be one of the 2019 sponsors, along with Allianz Global Assistance, Carnival, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Travel Media Showcase, TMS Family Travel, and CityPASS.
For more information about the sponsors, FTF grants, and scholarships for college, please visit scholarship.familytravelforum.com.